afrika korps forum Forum Index afrika korps forum
Welcome to the Afrika Korps Forum, new version.A forum about the German army and allied in WWII and WWI only

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How about them Pith Helmets! By Unfront
Goto page: 1, 2  >

Post new topic   Reply to topic    afrika korps forum Forum Index -> Forum Rules -> DAK Cap Forum
Previous topic :: Next topic  
S.Vestae
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun - 10:01 (2013)    Post subject: How about them Pith Helmets! By Unfront Reply with quote

I thought I'd start a thread on Pith Helmets. Show us your pith helmets - various makers, branch of service...
Here are a few photos of my canvas pith helmet:

Publicité

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun - 10:01 (2013)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
S.Vestae
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun - 10:02 (2013)    Post subject: How about them Pith Helmets! By Unfront Reply with quote

Erik,
 Superb pith!
 I only have two - one brought back from Italy (the later felt version) and a salty, sun-faded 1st type...
 Cheers!
 Mark

I found this one...

Here is my Green 1st pattern Heer tropenhelm.  It came from Matt, thanks.  1942 dated and made by ITA.  I have some more to post.

Regards,
Jerry

S.Vestae
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun - 10:03 (2013)    Post subject: How about them Pith Helmets! By Unfront Reply with quote

Here is my 2nd pattern Heer tropenhelm.  No history with it, but it looks to have been there.
Regards,
Jerry

Not sure what to call this one, possibly a tan 1st pattern Heer, though it has natural brown leather trim and  natural colour chinstrap.  Made by Halfar, with a different shade of red to the dome lining than normally seen.  1941 dated.  It could be KM or Luftwaffe or Heer or SS or NSKK, but as it has never been badged, though clearly used, it's hard to say which arm of service it was issued to.  It's a green tinted tan colour, though it looks different colours in the pictures.
Regards,
Jerry

Here is my Italian M1928 2nd pattern pith helmet, reissued to the Kreigsmarine, with early or theater made Helmet shields.
Regards,
Jerry

S.Vestae
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun - 10:04 (2013)    Post subject: How about them Pith Helmets! By Unfront Reply with quote

Here is my Luftwaffe tan coloured tropenhelm, 1941 dated and made by SH.  Missing it's chinstrap and both shields, the latter which I replaced.
Regards,
Jerry

Here is my other Luftwaffe tropenhelm, made by Clemens Wagner and rarely seen for the Luftwaffe by this maker. No date mark and it was missing it's eagle, which I replaced.
Regards,
Jerry

S.Vestae
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun - 10:04 (2013)    Post subject: How about them Pith Helmets! By Unfront Reply with quote

[quote=Unfront]These are some decent piths...some with a little salt too. Mine was unissued so there is no history to it.  I did have a 43 dated green Luftwaffe pith at one time... missing the eagle. Sadly, as soon as a traded it off, I found an appropriate zinc eagle for it.... oh well. I'd like to find a decent Luftwaffe pith some day. We shall see.
Regarding the felt pith: did they ever see service in Afrika? I ask because I have seen some felt pith helmets with a 1942 date on them. I'll have to post a photo when it turns up.[/quote]
Hi,
most people with an opinion say that 2nd pattern felt tropenhelms were not issued in Africa, though one person said they had seen some in a picture of piles of German kit, after the surrender in Tunisia.
I have seen 1941 dated 2nd pattern tropenhelms, see pic below, from one of them.
Regards,
Jerry

S.Vestae
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun - 10:05 (2013)    Post subject: How about them Pith Helmets! By Unfront Reply with quote

Not from my collection, but one I would like to add.  This example is from Kurtz's Afrikakorps book, a German manufactured Blue canvas Luftwaffe tropenhelm, the holy grail for Tropenhelm collectors, IMO.

Regards,
Jerry

S.Vestae
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun - 10:05 (2013)    Post subject: How about them Pith Helmets! By Unfront Reply with quote

Hi Sebastien,
Only six of the blue Luft tropenhelms (of German manufacture) are known to exist in collections and I think they were all made by Carl Halfar. a not often seen maker for Tropenhelms.
Luft tropenhelms also came in tan, like those shown earlier and in green (this example used to belong to Andy C).
[quote=S.Vestae]Hello Jerry, this one is very hard to find...
have you more details?
many thanks
Sebastien[/quote]

S.Vestae
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun - 10:06 (2013)    Post subject: How about them Pith Helmets! By Unfront Reply with quote

I thought these might be of interest.

Jerry

An updated version, with one new addition and I have added numbers to them, as that will make it easier for me to update it again when required.
Regards,
Jerry

S.Vestae
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun - 10:06 (2013)    Post subject: How about them Pith Helmets! By Unfront Reply with quote

Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

S.Vestae
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun - 10:07 (2013)    Post subject: How about them Pith Helmets! By Unfront Reply with quote

[quote=Bond][quote=portosaid]http://i39.tinypic.com/6qfzb7.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/zjdsv9.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/am3c4.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/35d510w.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/9pwf3o.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/t7n4v9.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/25k0r4i.jpg
Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy[/quote]
Can you post better pics of the SS shields?  All the others look great.
Regards,
Jerry[/quote]

The SS shield is zinc made without marks( 3 sprongs)
the political shield (swastika)is aluminium made (RZM markrd)
portosaid

S.Vestae
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun - 10:08 (2013)    Post subject: How about them Pith Helmets! By Unfront Reply with quote

Hi, sorry but I think the SS shields are copies.  The runes are not sharp enough and the pebbling is nothing like that seen on originals, IMO.
Regards,
Jerry

Two more originals.
Regards,
Jerry

S.Vestae
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun - 10:08 (2013)    Post subject: How about them Pith Helmets! By Unfront Reply with quote

Tropenhelm Wehrmacht but looks like a Luftwaffe issued helmet to me green inside light brown leather rim also seems to be a small hole right of eagle shield where original Luftwaffe eagle was ? Nice used looking example though.

S.Vestae
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun - 10:09 (2013)    Post subject: How about them Pith Helmets! By Unfront Reply with quote

Never seen one with buckle strap before really like it Smile
Army 1st model tropical pith helmet. This very rare helmet features dark green canvas material with typical six panel construction. The eagle and national escutcheon shields are original to the helmet as is the buckled chinstrap. The exterior is in overall excellent condition showing minimal storage age. The interior display a single size stamp 57 on the red dome material. There are no markings on the underside of the leather sweatband.

S.Vestae
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun - 10:09 (2013)    Post subject: How about them Pith Helmets! By Unfront Reply with quote

Rare photo of what looks like felt Tropenhelm being worn southern Russia notice the soldier with Russian machine gun !

Piths on the move

S.Vestae
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun - 10:10 (2013)    Post subject: How about them Pith Helmets! By Unfront Reply with quote

my Brothers in arms:D

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 18:18 (2017)    Post subject: How about them Pith Helmets! By Unfront

Post new topic   Reply to topic    afrika korps forum Forum Index -> Forum Rules -> DAK Cap Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: 1, 2  >
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation